Monday, September 28, 2009

Folsom Street Fair




Who would have thought that a silly little thing like a fetish street fair would make me miss home? The first time I went to Folsom Street Fair was in 2000, shortly after I had moved to San Francisco. I was terrified. I had never seen such an open display of flesh and hair! I don't have any fetishes, but I am mesmerised by people who do...is that a fetish? What I was confronted with at Folsom was pure masculine energy, and it was very overwhelming. Gays come in all shapes and sizes, but this was a whole new experience for me, and a profound one at that. So much so that it consumed my art practice for years, really on up until I moved.

Some of the best times I've ever had in San Francisco was at Folsom Street Fair. Hanging outside the Powerhouse on Dore Alley watching men do things to each other was enlightening. Men are pigs.

To all my friends on Folsom Street today, I miss guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment