Friday, January 6, 2012

I Survived the Holidays


Well, I survived the holidays…barely, but I did survive. There’s something to be said for blowing it all out at the end of the year. Around mid-December, I saw someone post on Facebook (I paraphrase), “If you are not celebrating the birth of Christ, then you have no business celebrating at all.” I was like, WTF…and yes, this person was being serious. I’m not sure why I have people such as this in my FB friend’s list, perhaps it’s part of the strategy of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer…who knows? Whatever the reason, these folks certainly keep me entertained. Seems to me, all of the hoopla associated with the time of year has more to do with the conclusion of the Gregorian Calendar cycle coupled with it being winter in the Northern Hemisphere―seriously, it gets cold, so what else are you going to do but have a fucking party? In Australia, Christmas and summer are intertwined (yay, let’s have a fucking party!), so I think that’s why the winter season here feels twice as long to me. There are no public holidays, so it just drags on and on. Unsurprisingly, a number of people here take their annual leave during the winter, heading north up the continent or to Asia, Europe, or North America.

Speaking of North America, it will be 
fun returning to the US in the latter part of the year when the 2012 Presidential Election is in full throttle. Americans may say they love baseball, but politics is our real pastime. The funny thing (or not so) is that Obama has basically fulfilled every single item on the GOP’s wish list, yet they decry that this year’s election is a battle for the heart and soul of America. Despite what one thinks about Obama politically, he’s going to turn mincemeat into whoever gets the nomination on the Republican side. When it comes to campaigning, he’s a genius. Most likely, he will be going up against Romney, but personally, I would love it if it were either Santorum or Gingrich―not that I would get any satisfaction out of watching either of them being ripped to shreds by Barry.

In other news, I’m currently working on a set of images for nfdu PROJECTS, sort of a ‘year in a life’ type of thing with images ranging from informal portraits and self-portraits to fleeting moments to documentation of events or their aftermath. I’m hoping to have the completed set posted within a couple of weeks on the website. In the meantime, here’s a taste: 







No comments:

Post a Comment