Thursday, December 15, 2011

An Offbeat Year

I was looking over this year’s posts and I can’t believe 2011 is almost over. It’s been an offbeat year for me and I’ve been in a funk throughout most of it. On a number of occasions, I’ve sat down and tried to put my feelings into words, but after getting a paragraph or two down, I would select all of the text and delete it. I couldn’t help but think that if I posted these thoughts on the blog, I would sound like one of those despairing individuals on Facebook. You know the kind of person I’m referring to, we all have at least one in our FB Friend List, the person who posts incessantly about every misfortune that happens in their life. That person you want to unfriend, but feel guilty and don’t because you are convinced that unfriending them will simply be the last thing that they can bear. In a nutshell, year three of living in Australia has been like living in a makeshift Purgatory, wondering if the people I’ve left behind still care enough to let me back into their lives after I return and wondering if the people in my life now care enough to remain vested after I’m gone – a bit woesome and dramatic to say the least. In the end, I know what’s really been eating at me: it’s the move in 2012. Barring the start of WWIII, natural disaster, or aliens landing (why do none of these sound improbable?) we will be back in San Francisco sometime within the next eight months. As a friend of mine here says, “It’s time to wrap this cunt up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment