Sunday, April 11, 2010

finally, I have an answer

So, I was at a friend's birthday party last night and someone asked me what I thought about the Mardi Gras events. I fumbled around for words, and finally returned a question, "Do you really want to know?" This gave everyone a chuckle. I said I know I'm going to come across like one of those annoying Americans, who begins every sentence with, "In America..." Mardi Gras is kind of a let down, and I've never really been able to put into words what it is. Comparing it to Gay Pride in San Francisco, Pride is a zillion times better and a lot more fun than Mardi Gras. After some back and forth I was finally able to express what it is about Mardi Gras I don't like. Everything is so event driven that it leaves little room for spontaneity. I mean seriously, I don't have the mental space or the inclination to even begin to know what I'll be doing in three months, so don't ask me! It's like everyone in Sydney becomes a tourist in their own city. Having to plan in order to have a good time is too much work. The next time I find myself in a conversation where someone pops the question about Mardi Gras, without batting an eye I'll reply, "It's great and all, but I don't want my fun to be that complicated."

No comments:

Post a Comment