Saturday, September 10, 2011

Making Amends or 10 Things I Love About Living in Australia

So after yesterday's (failed) attempt at humor in writing about the things I hate about living in Australia, I thought I should make amends by writing about 10 things I do love about living here.

Drum roll, please...
  1. Aussie men have the best bums on the planet. Seriously, it's unnerving at times. 
  2. I love that Australians are apolitical (for the most part), which might seem ironic because I'm addicted to politics - but the truth of the matter is that I actually detest it. It's very nice to live in a place where every time I turn on the tele there's not some idiot politician trying to gain 15 mins of fame. 
  3. Speaking of tele, I love that when someone says 'fuck,' it isn't bleeped out. 
  4. I love that nudity is not an issue (see #1). 
  5. I love that religion doesn't dominate public life (or private life for that matter).
  6. I love that Australians are not neurotic (in the way Americans are). There are many reasons, but mainly it comes down to a standard of 4 weeks of personal holiday coupled with universal access to health care. 
  7. Late afternoon summer sun is absolutely phenomenal.
  8. The flora and fauna: it's like living in a zoo, but in a good way. 
  9. I love that it's an entire country of cheeky smart-asses. 
  10. Last, but not least...despite my disagreements with certain policies/methods of the current PM, it warms my special spot that she is an atheist and open about it. How long do you think it will be before the 'land of the free, home of the brave' elects an 'out of the closet' atheist for Pres?  

No comments:

Post a Comment