Friday, October 22, 2010

my america

So, I'm sitting here typing and listening to Another Day in America by Laurie Anderson. The mid-term elections are 2 weeks away and I'm finding it easier and easier to disconnect from the whole insanity. Postmodernism has completely consumed US politics. Christine O'Donnell makes Sarah Palin look sane. Religious fanatics control the dialogue. DADT was off, and now on again.

I'm now listening to tracks off of the Koyaanisquatsi soundtrack, sipping a martini and wondering if America will survive its latest drama du jour? Though not a popular thing to say, the terrorists did win on 9/11...Glen Beck is proof of that. The country is trapped in a loop, somewhere between self denial and inaction.

When I think of America, I think of the Bay and New York, of the wide open spaces in between you can drive for hours and hours. I think of Jazz, House, and Blue Grass. I think of every shade of skin colour. I think of Spanish and I think of Hillbilly slang. I think of Kentucky bourbon. I think of leather and I think of men holding hands with each other. I think of women who don't need the door held open for them.

Those things are my America; the rest can piss off.

No comments:

Post a Comment