Monday, August 2, 2010

43 tomorrow

So, yesterday we hung out with a group of friends at the Argyle. It was fun. It was organised by a friend who did a cancer fundraiser called, Dry in July. Great cause, but by most dreadful means...no alcohol for a month. I got to hand it to him, I certainly couldn’t do it. Anyway, Dry in July had an event marking the end of the fundraiser. We also used the occasion to toast my upcoming birthday on Tuesday. I really cannot believe I’m going to be 43. It’s not so much the age part, or the getting older part. It’s the how the hell did I get here part?!? I remember my mother telling my once that as she got older she didn’t feel any different mentally, it was only when she looked in the mirror. She said she would think, who the hell is this woman starring back at me! I don’t know if I’m to that stage yet, but I’m certainly beginning to comprehend it.

Last week I found a childhood friend on Facebook, it was a guy who lived up the street from me in Middleboro. He’s 3 or 4 years older. It was odd to see his photo and remembering the way he used to look (he’s aged well). I haven’t thought about him in years. When we were kids we were inseparable. He and his brother taught me how to ride a bicycle, a pivotal point in any kid’s life. That was like 36 or 37 years ago. It doesn’t seem possible. A lot has changed in that kid’s life, since then. If I’m lucky, I’ve lived approximately half my life. In another 43 years, I wonder where that kid will be... 

No comments:

Post a Comment