Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I thought my first day in Australia was going to be my last.


On August 22, 2008, my partner and I arrived at Sydney International Airport. I didn't think we were going to survive the landing. It was raining lightly, and the wind was a little strong. This didn't cause alarm, but during our decent lightning struck one of the engines. The flash and the following crack of thunder sent my heart through my throat. The silence throughout the cabin was unnerving. I realized this is what happens when people think they are going to die collectively—there are no screams, just silence. One of the flight attendants, who was sitting behind us, called the Captain in a panic, but he didn't answer, which made the moment excruciating for me. I've flown several times in my life, but I have only had three experiences that I would categorize as "near death." I remember looking out the window and thinking, my first day in Australia is going to be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment